Sunday 19 October 2014

Cocoa Banana Oat Smoothie

In order to increase my number of leafy green vegetables and try to eat bananas - an important prebiotic, I started to make a smoothie each morning for breakfast.  I am not a big breakfast eater but I thought this might be fast, nutritious, and a good start to my day. I am now officially over my aversion to whizzed up bananas and find that this smoothie is great for breakfast on the run.  My kids, who regularly cut corners with breakfast, like this drink and will slurp it in the car before school drop off.  Our smoothie is always dairy-free but use whatever milk works for you.



  • 1 cup of almond, soy or cow's milk
  • 1 whole very ripe banana
  • 1 1/2 cups of spinach
  • 1/3 cup of whole rolled oats
  • 1 tsp. natural vanilla extract
  • 2 tsps. rounded, Dutch processed cocoa powder
  • 4 ice cubes or 4 cubes of frozen coconut water


In a high speed blender, add the above ingredients in the order that they are listed; blend for about 30 seconds.  This smoothie is best consumed right away rather than refrigerated for later.








No comments:

Post a Comment